Saturday, December 31, 2011

Review: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Angel
(The Infernal Devices #1)

Author: Cassandra Clare

Publication Date: August 31st, 2010

Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books

Genre: Fantasy / Steampunk

GoodReads

Synopsis:

Magic is dangerous—but love is more dangerous still. When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos. Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What’s more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own. Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by—and torn between—two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length . . . everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world. . . . and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.


Jenn's Thoughts: All I can say about this book is that it is a great read. I just spent the last two days reading it in my spare time, I didn't really want to put it down. I love that it is based in the Victorian Era. The story is great, and I was hooked from the first chapter. I felt a connection with the characters, which is always a good thing for me. Cassandra Clare is an amazing author and I can't believe I haven't read any of her books before. I'm looking forward to starting Clockwork Prince tomorrow.

The only negative thing I can say is that it does drag a little bit in parts, but really, there is quite a bit of information that is given so that you'll understand what's going on if you haven't read her other series. I'm looking forward to reading that one as well.

Now, for the huge debate everyone has, the Tessa-Will-Jem triangle. I'm going to have to root for Will. The reason Ithink they should be together is because from reading just this book, Tessa immediately falls for him, and even though he might act like he doesn't care most of the time, I think he really cares for her a lot. For Jem on the other hand, yes he loves Tessa, but it seems to me that her feelings are more of a sisterly love towards him. I guess I'll just have to see how things unfold in Clockwork Prince.

Meghan's Thoughts :  I flat out loved this book. It really reached out of the pages and grabbed me. While I was reading this book it was all I could think about. I spent most of the two days it took me to read it immersed in the pages, and when I didn't have my nose in it I was thinking about what I read last and when I would get to pick it up again to read further.


I really enjoyed reading about the characters in this book, they are all very well defined. You get a really great description that makes you almost feel you know them. I gotta put in my thoughts on the Will versus Jem debate of course. Although I still feel a little torn, I gotta vote for Will. The attraction between Will and Tessa seems much deeper and I can feel that Will feels very strongly towards her but he has some yet unknown to us detail that is holding him back.


Reading this book has me very excited to read the follow up, Clockwork Prince. I asked to be put on the waiting list at my Library, unfortunately it's a really long wait. Which is understandable since this book was so good, how could you not want to read the sequel? Cassandra Clare is a really great writer and I can't believe it's taken me till now to read any of her books. I've been thinking of reading the Mortal Instruments series for awhile now and after reading this I am going to do it a lot sooner, I even went so far as to buy the first 3 in the series. I have absolute faith they will be as great or even better than their prequel. Really great work Cassandra Clare, I can't wait to read more of your work :)



29 comments:

  1. I have to say I totally agree with you! I'm all for Team Will :P I think Tessa does him good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does do him good :) Yay Team Will! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Will or Jem? Will or Jem? I'm crazy about Clare's books. She never makes love easy for her characters. But that's what makes her books interesting. Am I right? Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, you want her to somehow be with both, but it wou;d be a complete faux pas in their era..lol But I'm still leaning toward Will!

      Delete
  3. I havn't read this series yet, But im dying too! Especially after such good reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the book, but haven't read it yet. Glad to know that its a really good read.

    Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it when you get around to reading it!

      Delete
  5. When I saw the title and the cover of this book, I knew I had to read this. Nonetheless, my expectations were met and as you guys said, Will-Tessa-Jem love triangle is just nicely written. I also had the feeling that Tessa will choose Will but others who have read Clockwork Prince said the ending is still unsure. And I was lucky enough to get a copy of Clockwork Prince as a Christmas present last year! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy Clockwork Prince! I thought it was even better!

      Delete
  6. I don't like love-triangles(I've read too many), but this sounds like a good read. Maybe I'll give it a try.
    Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read many yet ;), so not sick of them yet..lol Most books do seem to have them now though.. If you decide to give it a try, I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read this series yet and the mortal instrument too.. but i heard a lot of good reviews on both of them..:) thanks for the wonderful review:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check them out! They're really good!

      Delete
    2. I absolutely loved Clockwork Angel and Prince! I definitely suggest you read them! :)

      Delete
  9. Very encouraging reviews. I have purchased both books out so far in this series. I am looking forward to reading it. I can't wait to see where I fall in with the triangle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ouch.. i had this book, but have not read yet, thank for the interview, will read this book soon

    ReplyDelete
  11. ilike teh book my self i do not think it on my pile yet
    but i love to have it the cover is great

    ReplyDelete
  12. I already had this book but still have no chance to read it :(
    Reading your review, I think I have to read it soon.

    Thank u for sharing your review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome review. I can't wait to read it, ordered it recently, and I have Prince too :D I looooooooooove Cassandra! she is very talented

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your reviews! I can't wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome review! i think it was a great book and i'm glad you enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.