Monday, February 25, 2013

Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass
(Throne of Glass #1)

Author: Sarah J. Maas

Publication Date: August 2nd 2012

Publisher: Bloomsbury

Genre: Fantasy

GoodReads

Synopsis:

Meet Celaena Sardothien. Beautiful. Deadly. Destined for greatness.

In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake: she got caught.

Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament—fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin’s heart be melted?


My Thoughts: So with all of the hype around Throne of Glass at it's release, I decided that I absolutely NEEDED to read it and it is the only book that I have ever preordered (I even got the UK cover because I like it so much more!). So of course, it sat on my bookshelf until this month. Go me! Am I glad I finally got around to reading this (as well as the four novella prequels)? Yes, yes I am.

First of all, if you are planning on reading this and haven't read the novella's yet, you should most definitely check them out first! There would have been so many references that I didn't get if I hadn't of read them. And they are really cheap, like $1 each for Kobo. Secondly, stop hesitating like I did! These are seriously awesome! I love the world, characters and the writing style. It had been so long that I've read a decent fantasy that I couldn't get enough. I can't wait to see what happens in the next book. Sarah J. Maas just has a way of grabbing a hold of you and dragging you in. Only letting you emerge long enough to go into withdrawals before needing to continue reading. In my case it's terrible because I have to wait so long for me next "fix". I'm seriously a book junkie.

So the main character is Celaena. I like her a lot but I'm still having a hard time judging her character. I mean, she is the deadliest assassin around. I get the feeling that she doesn't like what she does most of the time, but then sometimes she does, if she really despises the person she's killing. She is apparently stunning and knows it. She's been pretty spoiled during her training, so is a bit of a brat to begin with (in the novellas more so) but after her time in Endovier she does change a bit for the better. She has trust issues (someone did set her up to get her captured) and no friends, so a bit of a loner. Overall, while I wasn't her biggest fan to begin with, she did change enough that I really like her now.

Since she is at the Glass Castle for the tournament, she is always guarded. As are the other champions. Mostly she is followed around by Captain Westfall, who is fairly cold toward her. There are a couple of love interests at the castle (both who are swoon worthy in their own ways! And no a love triangle is not set up! At least it didn't end with a feeling of one!) and a couple of friends to be made. There is something scary going on as well. Something killing in the castle, but only the champions. There are a ladies who'd like nothing better than to dispatch of Celaena, not that they know who she is. So Celaena has a lot of people to watch out for. As well as visits from ghostly figures.

As I said before though, Sarah J. Maas is a great story teller. I've already added any and all of her upcoming books to my TBR pile, how can I not after how thoroughly enjoyed Throne of Glass. She just has a way with words that made me unable to put this down. It's most likely going to be one of my top reads of the year. I definitely recommend it. Especially if you enjoy fantasy! It really is as good as everyone says! Just read the novellas first!

6 comments:

  1. I'm always very hesitant about reading fantasy books. I actually had this one on my shelf, but I gave it away and NOW I wish I still had it so I could read it! I do love this cover, though. Might have to pick up a copy sometime. I'm happy you loved it so much!

    Great review, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I just can't believe I waited so long to read it!! I hope you will give it a chance! I'm a fan of fantasy, but it has to be good!

      Delete
  2. I have the short novellas waiting for me and I can't wait to read them and find out more about this world. I absolutely loved Throne of Glass and I like how flawed Celaena is :) Great review!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to read them soon, the last one had me in tears, no lie. It is so sad! I'm looking forward to her finding out who betrayed her to get her caught! I want her revenge!!! She's a great character!

      Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  3. I LOVED this one too!! I have been meaning to read the short stories, but haven't gotten around to them yet. I actually didn't even realize they existed until after I'd read Throne of Glass. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad I noticed the novellas before reading it because of certain references and such. I hope you get a chance to get around to them soon! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.