Friday, July 12, 2013

Review: Awaken by Meg Cabot

Awaken
Abandon Trilogy #3

Author: Meg Cabot

Publication Date: July 2, 2013

Publisher: Point

Genre: Mythology

GoodReads

Synopsis:

Death has her in his clutches. She doesn’t want him to let go.

Seventeen-year-old Pierce Oliviera knew by accepting the love of John Hayden, she’d be forced to live forever in the one place she’s always dreaded most: the Underworld. The sacrifice seemed worth it, though, because it meant she could be with the boy she loves.

But now her happiness — and safety — are threatened, all because the Furies have discovered that John has broken one of their strictest rules: He revived a human soul.

If the balance between life and death isn’t fixed, both the Underworld and Pierce’s home back on earth will be wiped away. But there’s only one way to restore order. Someone has to die




My Thoughts: I have been following this series and eagerly anticipating this final novel for awhile. If you follow my reviews you will know that I am ga-ga for mythology and I love Persephone and Hades based books.  Most of my favourites right now are at least somewhat based on the star-crossed couple from Hell (or Hades, rather).

This novel is the last of the Abandon Trilogy from Meg Cabot.  In it, Pierce Oliviera finally accepts her role in John's life and in the underworld.  However, the Furies have something else entirely in mind.  The Fates have mysteriously disappeared and the Furies are running wild causing havoc in both the Underworld and on the surfaces on Isla Huesos. Together, John and Pierce have to figure out how they are going to save both of their worlds.

In truth, I liked the previous two books in this series a lot more in comparison to this one.  At times, this one seemed to come to a dead creep and then pick up and go a mile a minute.  The pacing was strange at times and infuriating at others.  There were a lot of moments were I just kind of stared at the novel incredulously and wondered: "Did that just happen?", and not in a good way.  There were a couple of aspects thrown in (like Thanatos) that I just thought was a little bit of an overkill and pointless to the plot other than maybe to save a character I had no interest in in the first place and to use up a chapter or two.

Other than that, I did enjoy it though.  I felt like it tied up the loose ends of the series well and I still read it in one sitting. It makes me sad that the story of John and Pierce has come to an end and that I won't have anymore books about them in the future, but it seemed like that was a good place to end the series.  If you haven't yet checked out the Abandon Trilogy, I certainly suggest that you do.  It is definitely worth your time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.