Friday, November 9, 2012

Review: Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock

Hemlock
(Hemlock #1)

Author: Kathleen Peacock

Publication Date: May 8th, 2012

Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books

Genre: Paranormal

GoodReads

Synopsis:

Mackenzie and Amy were best friends. Until Amy was brutally murdered.
Since then, Mac's life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group called the Trackers has come to Mac's hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy's killer:
A white werewolf.
Lupine syndrome--also known as the werewolf virus--is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control.
Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy's murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy's boyfriend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk.


My Thoughts: I really loved this book. I wasn't sure what to expect going in because I haven't really read any werewolf books before but, I heard a lot of great things about this one and decided to give it a try. Thankfully, it lived up to the hype for me! I started reading and just got so invested in the characters and the mystery that I couldn't put it down. That and the cover is pretty! I'm not really sure what it has to do with the book, but I like it,

Hemlock follows Mackenzie (Mac) as she tries to move on after her best fried is murdered, by a werewolf. Try as she might, she can't give up on it. It doesn't help that Amy is haunting her dreams. Once she looks into the murder, secrets are revealed and there are more questions that are glaring Mac in the face. She needs to figure it out for closure. I will say though, I had the hardest time figuring out who the "bad" guy was. I just kept jumping around,trying to figure it out. I didn't even suspect who it was until it became obvious.

I liked Mac as a character and became emotionally attached to her. I feel so bad for her, after losing her friend and then finding out all these secrets that everyone has been keeping from her. She has no idea how she was so oblivious to them all. Then finding out that her two close guy friends have feelings for her? I'm totally rooting for Kyle by the way. She is a character that I just want to help.

Overall this is a great werewolf story. It's definitely a good one to ease me into the genre. I can't wait for the next installment to be released so I can see what happens next. I'm a new fan of Kathleen Peacocks writing. I love her style and it makes me happy that she's a Canadian! I love finding awesome Canadian authors! If you aren't sure about the werewolf genre, or if you are a fan of it, you should read this because it really is great. I'm not regretting it!



2 comments:

  1. Great review, Jenn! I just won this book a few weeks ago and it's signed by the author. I had no idea she was Canadian! Win!

    I don't read a lot of werewolf stories, but I should ... this one looks super good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't read very many either, but this one was great! Maybe it's because I rarely read them that I enjoyed it so much, but either way, super excited for it! I'm also jealous that you have a signed copy! I borrowed this one from the library :P

      Delete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.