Monday, November 5, 2012

Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection
(The Selection #1)

Author: Kiera Cass

Publication Date: April 24th, 2012

Publisher: HarperTeen

Genre: Dystopia

GoodReads

Synopsis:

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


My Thoughts: Ok, I freaking LOVED The Selection. That's right, LOVED IT! I basically read this in less than a day, once I started I just couldn't stop. I do have to make a comment about it, because how can I not? But the cover is so gorgeous! I mean, just look at it! I knew after seeing it that I had to read this book, even more so after reading the synopsis. I'm not going to lie, I've never watched The Bachelor, ever. So I really wasn't sure what to expect, since they are similar. I do have to agree with what every one's been saying though, this is like a mix of The Hunger Games and The Bachelor, but it's so good! My on;y complaint is that The Elite isn't out yet!

So basically, if you haven't heard anything about this book, it's about a girl named America who is picked to be in a competition with 34 other girls to win the heart of Prince Maxon. America is from caste 5, three castes from being homeless. Her family are artists. But somehow, she manages to get picked and has the chance of a lifetime. The only problem, she already loves someone else.

I really like America's character, she seems really nice. She cares about her family and is just a really kind person. She's thrown into a society that she's not at all used to. All of a sudden there are people waiting on her, gorgeous dresses to wear, and amazing food. All she wants is to not lose herself and to get along with the other girls. She plainly lets Maxon know that her heart already belongs to someone else, but they can be friends.

Oh Maxon, I love him and am totally 100% Team Maxon! Why? Because he is just so kind and loving, handsome, caring. He's nervous and has no experience with girls and dating. He's not at all self centered or snobby. He's basically a great guy and you all know how the girl/guy best friends thing goes. Yes, there is kissing. Now for Aspen, I hated him. Why? He's totally selfish. He breaks up with America, after making her enter the Selection to begin with. Then just shows up at the castle and moves in on her again after she is finally getting over him? She can be killed for treason if they catch him kissing her, yet he apparently is okay with that risk. He can at least wait until she's no longer a part of the Selection anymore. And if it's too late, it's his fault.

Overall, if you can't tell already, I LOVED this book and got so immersed in it. I couldn't put it down and I'm honestly glad there was so much drama around it way back to bring it to my attention. I would have missed out on this amazing book. If you're at all a dystopian fan, maybe you love The Hunger Games, or if you are just a fan of shows like The Bachelor, you should read this. It's one I will be sharing with people as much as possible. I can't wait for the next installment to come out!



10 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I can't wait for the next one!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed The Selection! I thought it was a fun entertaining read and am also looking forward to The Elite :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this one too :) Definitely agree with your opinions on Maxon & Aspen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved this book, too!! I love the whole Bachelor spin it had -- it made for a really fun read. BUT I didn't like the ending. I felt it was too abrupt with not enough resolution. Still ... I look forward to reading The Elite!

    Great review, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I didn't mind the ending at all, maybe I'm just getting used to cliffhangers and the such. I'm very excited for The Elite!

      Delete
  5. I still haven't read this one but I'm going to try to get to it soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I think I need to read this! lol. I've heard of it and read a couple of reviews, but it always sounded just okay to me. Great review, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.