Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Review: Ember by Jessica Sorensen

Ember
(Death Collectors #1)

Author: Jessica Sorensen

Publication Date: August 29, 2012

Publisher: Borrowed Hearts Publishing

Genre: Paranormal/Fantasy

GoodReads

Synopsis:

What if you knew when someone was going to die?
For seventeen-year-old Ember, life is death. With a simple touch, she knows when someone will die. It’s her curse and the reason she secludes herself from the world. The only person who knows her secret is her best friend Raven.
Then she meets Asher Morgan. He’s gorgeous, mysterious, and is the only person Ember can't sense death from. So when he pushes into her life, she doesn’t mind.
But when unexplained deaths start to haunt her town, Ember starts questioning why she can’t sense Asher's death and what he may be hiding.




My Thoughts: This is one of the books that once I started reading I didn't stop until I finished.  I simply couldn't stop until I found out what was going on!

Ember's life is complicated.  She can't touch anyone, not even her own family, without knowing how they will die.  Not only that, insanity runs in her family and she has to do everything she can to keep it together while her mother and brother act strangely.  Couple that with the fact that everyone believes that she is responsible for her own father's death/disappearance and you pretty much have Ember.

I sympathies with Ember throughout the whole book.  She has a good head on her shoulders (so far) and, quite frankly, she is surrounded by people who are absolutely nuts and lives in a community where she is completely ostracized. No wonder she spends her time hanging out in cemeteries!

Now, I am a little bit disappointed that the summary above only includes Asher Morgan because Cameron is also an integral part of this story (and just as yummy!).  Both Asher and Cameron move to Ember's small town from New York around the same time and both lavish attention on Ember - something she has never had before. Cameron is cocky and sometimes abrasive while Asher is sweet, protective and caring.

But when both Asher and Cameron seem to know what is going on with her "gift" and bodies start piling up, Ember has to decide which one, if either, she can trust.

I just have to say here, I am in love with Cameron.  He made me really mad sometimes, but he is just the kind of guy I float towards in the Young Adult novels.  A bad boy with a little mystery is totally someone to get the blood flowing!  I just felt like Ember had more of a connection with him too.  But, who knows until the end of the series (other than Jessica!)?

Overall, I really enjoyed this book.  It had a lot of plot twists and really kept me on my tows.  This book almost always managed to stay one step ahead of me and I like that.  It also introduced a new kind of Supe (supernatural creature) which means it wasn't overdone.  It was a pretty awesome read and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys paranormal/fantasy YA novels!




No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.