Thursday, September 13, 2012

Review: Ten Things We Did by Sarah Mlynowski

Ten Things We Did

Author: Sarah Mlynowski

Publication Date: June 7th, 2011

Publisher: HarperTeen

Genre: Contemporary / Chick Lit

GoodReads

Synopsis:

2 girls + 3 guys + 1 house - parents = 10 things April and her friends did that they (definitely, maybe, probably) shouldn't have. If given the opportunity, what sixteen-year-old wouldn't jump at the chance to move in with a friend and live parent-free? Although maybe "opportunity" isn't the right word, since April had to tell her dad a tiny little untruth to make it happen (see #1: "Lied to Our Parents"). But she and her housemate Vi are totally responsible and able to take care of themselves. How they ended up "Skipping School" (#3), "Throwing a Crazy Party" (#8), "Buying a Hot Tub" (#4), and, um, "Harboring a Fugitive" (#7) at all is kind of a mystery to them.


My Thoughts:  I really enjoyed reading Ten Things We Did. There is just something about reading a great contemporary at the end of summer. Just laying back and immersing myself in the drama of someone else's life. And there was drama, was there ever. I knew after reading the synopsis that I had to read this. Some of the things that went on with April were crazy. For one, her father was completely insane letting her live with a friend, even if their mother was supposed to be there. But yes, I really enjoy just laying back and reading contemporaries, I'd say they are a guilty pleasure for me. Sometimes they can just be over the top ridiculous and I'll just completely love it. This was one of those reads for me.

Ten Things We Did follows April, the protagonist, while she explains how she really messed up her life. The book starts off with her waking up next to someone who isnt her boyfriend, after a crazy party, to her dad calling and saying he is only 20 minutes away to coming to visit. Back track to where it all began, to show how things got to the point of the party and we have one crazy story that includes her and her closest friends, her boyfriend, a couple other guys and a sweet, adorable kitten they adopted. Living without parents, sex, a hot tub, late night get togethers and parties. It makes for a lot of drama and fun.

I really liked April's character. Yeah, she made some pretty stupid mistakes and decisions, but she definitely learns her lesson in the end. She is thinking about having sex with her boyfriend of two years for the first time, he seems to be avoiding her and she has no idea why. I figured out why early on, it was a bit predictable, but still good. If you're wondering at all why she isn't living with her parents, they are divorced. Her mom lives in Paris with her brother and stepfather. She lived with her dad but he got a new job and she didn't want to leave her hometown in the middle of the school year.

If you're looking for a fun, mindless, drama-filled read, I definitely recommend this book. It was a lot of fun, although I can tell you that I certainly won't be letting my kids ever move in with a friend without talking to the parents first. Hopefully my children don't want to move out until college though.. Yes, great read! You should look into it if you haven't yet!



4 comments:

  1. I have this on my kindle and I'm excited to read it. I love contemporaries, even if the preimise is a little unrealistic and the story is filled with drama. Sometimes, those are the best kind of stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes it's nice just to be able to sit and read a bunch of drama unfolding in someone else's life for a change. It's pretty good, you should read it!

      Delete
  2. I have this one on my Kobo AND I won a copy ... that's just double the pressure to read it! It does look super good, though, and I really need to try out Sarah's stuff, so I will HAVE to read it soon!

    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I think the universe is trying to tell you something!! lol Yes, yes you should read it!

      Delete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.