Saturday, March 17, 2012

Author Interview: J. Meyers

I was recently asked to read and review a really great book by J. Meyers. I am so very glad that I was asked because I got to read the great story that is Intangible!
 You can check out my 4Hoot review here.


I liked the book so much that I asked Meyers if she would be interested in doing an interview so we could learn more about her, her book, and future books. She very kindly agreed, and we are so very thankful!

I would like to extend a great big thank you to J. Meyers for everything! I had so much fun reading your book, and getting to know more about you. I can't wait to read your future works!


1.We are always eager to know more about the person behind the words, tell us a bit about yourself and where readers can go if they want to learn even more about you.
I have always wanted to make my living as an artist, some way or another, so at different times during the last twenty years I've worked as a professional actor, singer, portrait artist, and writer. It's in my blood to create, though I'm somewhat shocked that I've ended up writing. I never would have dreamed that'd I'd be doing this. And yet here I am. :-)

(Readers can visit me www.jmeyersbooks.com. I love visitors!)

2. What was your favorite part in your book Intangible?
I love the bond between Sera and Luke. I did a bunch of research about twins to get a feel for how they interact with each other (how it's similar or different from non-twins) and how that amazing bond they share manifests itself in little ways.
Meghan: I couldn't agree more. I absolutely love the bond you created between Sera and Luke. The affection and friendship they share is just wonderful! The research you did definitely paid off :)

3. Who would you say is your favorite character from Intangible, and why?
Don't make me choose just one! (That's like making me choose a favorite child.) Honestly, I love them all, and I'm not sure that I have a favorite. But I will tell you that I do love Marc. I didn't intend to. I actually started out thinking he was just going to be a bad guy all around. But he wasn't. He was smart, funny, and witty. And tortured. He came with not the best intentions, but it was out of desperation. And he left because he was traumatized. (I hope he comes back, though I'm not sure what will happen if he does.)
Meghan: I would love to see Marc come back. Mostly because I feel he owes Sera a massive apology for things said.

4. Are any of the characters in the story based on people you know personally?
Not really. There are parts of me and people I know mixed up into all the characters, but no one character is based on one person. They're all very imaginary.


5. If you could have dinner with one character from your book, who would you choose?
Jonas. Because he's got to have some seriously amazing stories to tell.

6. Are you working on anything new? What can we expect to see from you in the future?
I'm just getting started on book two, and have high (possibly unrealistic) hopes that it will be out by the end of the year.
Meghan: That is very exciting! I hope you will think of me when it's released ;).


7. Have you always wanted to be a writer? If not, what happened to make you decide to start writing?
Nope. I hated writing when I was in high school and college. Loved words--their meanings, origins, and word play--but hated writing. I began writing after I started freelancing for an educational texts publisher. I'd started out with just inputting changes to the manuscript on computer, but then moved up to proofing, copyediting, and eventually writing. It was a slow transition, and I didn't really think of myself as a writer at that point. Once I started writing books (I co-authored a couple of parenting books before writing Intangible), I finally realized I was a writer.



8. Aside from writing, what other things do you enjoy doing?
I read a lot when I'm not writing (and sometimes when I am). I have four kids who are the most amazing people I know and we're an unschooling family, so we spend our days learning, exploring, and playing. I also love to bake (a little *too* much), knit, sew, and go for hikes or walks with my kids.
Meghan: It sounds like you have a wonderful family, and that you share a great life together! You must feel very lucky.



9. What is it like for you, when reading reviews of your book? How do you react to positive and/or negative reviews?
I've been amazed at the lovely things people have said about the book. Overwhelmed really. And I actually haven't gotten any negative reviews yet (I have no doubt they'll come), but my big plan is to not read them. I know I'll take it personally and get upset, and I don't really want to do that. But I do feel so lucky and blessed that so far the response has been really positive.

10.What is the most rewarding experience you've had since your book was released?
Readers emailing me to tell me how much they enjoyed the book, and having some readers say they couldn't put the book down. I had no idea it would be that kind of book for some people (but then, I read it at least 10 times, so it was *very* put-downable near the end for me!).



11. What is your all-time favorite book, or a book that you think everyone should read?
I don't think I have an all-time favorite anymore--I've read some really amazing books in the last couple of years. But I'd have to say that Laini Taylor's Dreamdark books, Blackbringer and Silksinger, are a must-read. She creates the most incredible world in those books--a living, breathing world--and fantasically unique characters.
Meghan: I will definitely have to look into those and possibly add them to my TBR.



12. What is your favorite genre of books? Do you stick to mainly one, or branch out?
I'm so in love with YA and MG books, and have been for several years, so mostly what I read is within those two genres. Occasionally I read some non-fiction (because I'm on a continuous quest to be a better parent, or researching). And once in a great while I pick up adult fiction, but honestly, I just don't find it as well written or creative as YA and MG. (I've also found that now that I'm writing I have a very low tolerace for less-than-stellar books--in part because I have limited time to read now, so I can't waste my time suffering through some book I'm not liking just to finish it, and in part because I get irritated much more quickly by some styles or poor writing.)
 Meghan:  I know what you mean about limited time and trying to spend it reading things you enjoy. I have 3 kids between the ages 2 and 5 haha. And I absolutely agree on the creativity of YA, I'm a huge fan of Paranormal and Fantasy.


13. Is there an upcoming release you are really looking forward to right now?
Oh my goodness, YES. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore. I. can't. wait. (Can I tell you how happy I am that it's well over 500 pages long? Over 500 pages of Kristin Cashore's fabulous writing and unique world? So excited!)


14. Who is your favorite Author? 
I have several: Laini Taylor, Frannie Billinsgley, Kristin Cashore, Megan Whalen Turner, Aidan Chambers. (That's not all, but I'm stopping there.)
Meghan: Some more Authors I will have to take a peek at :) Thanks for sharing!



15. Where do you pull your inspiration from when writing?
Music & books. Music will sometimes give me story/plot ideas or inspire a mood/feeling for a character. And I read, read, read to be inspired (and learn how) to write better.



16. If you could join forces with any Author, alive or dead, to write a book, Who would you pick?
Yikes! I'm too much of a loner, so I don't think I'd want to write a novel with anyone and have to maybe compromise on story or style issues.


17. Do you prefer print or e-books?
Print. No contest. I love the feel of a book, turning the pages, the look of the words on the page, studying the art inside (if there is any) and on the cover.
Meghan: I agree 100%! I just love print books so much. Especially their smell and the feeling of pages in your hands, it's not uncommon to catch me sniffing books hehe.


18. What advice would you give to the aspiring writers out there? 
Read! Read a lot!! And write the kind of book you'd want to read (even if it's not currently trendy).


Thank you again for everything, it's been a real pleasure working with you and I hope to hear from you again in the future!
Thank you so much, Meghan! I've loved working with you, as well. It's been fun!


4 comments:

  1. What a fabulous interview and Intangible sounds amazing..thanks for letting us learn a little more about Meyers

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.