Thursday, March 22, 2012

Review: Going Under by Georgia Cates

Going Under

Author: Georgia Cates

Publication Date: March 10th, 2012

Publisher: Self-Published

Genre: Romance/YA/Contemporary/Drama

GoodReads

Synopsis:

Jessie Boone is a self proclaimed bad boy and doesn’t march to the beat of anyone’s drum, but his own. Growing up in less than desirable circumstances has made him no stranger to the hard knock life and his determination to leave it behind is fierce. When he finds himself transferred to East Franklin High School, he sees his opportunity to use his athletic ability to snag a college football scholarship, but Forbes Henderson, the player Jessie means to replace isn’t giving up his spot willingly. In fact, Forbes is willing to go to extreme measures to retain his place as first string quarterback. When Forbes’ malicious plan to injure his replacement fails, Jessie is furious and determined to show him he messed with the wrong person; not only is he going to take the position of first string quarterback, he’s going to take his girl, too. Claire Deveraux is perfection at it’s best. She is beautiful, intelligent and unaware she just became Jessie Boone’s conquest as revenge against her boyfriend, Forbes Henderson. Like her flawless performance as the perfect daughter and student, Claire’s production of being the perfect girlfriend has everyone fooled, except Jessie Boone, and she fears this tattooed bad boy will see her secret desire to explore his crude threats and promises to rock her perfect world. If she decides to give in to one uninhibited moment with Jessie, will she learn too late that it was all an act of vengeance or will Jessie learn the taste of first love is sweeter than that of revenge?


My Thoughts:  I want to start by saying a big thank you to Georgia Cates for offering me the chance to review this book! It was such a great read and had me completely captivated! So thanks to you Georgia for the wonderful read :).


This book starts as the perfect high school drama but quickly turns into an intense love story that will completely encompass you. We've got our bad boy from a bad background who's willing to do anything to get the spot he wants on the school sports team. That spot just happens to be held by Mr. Rich & Popular and he has the the most beautiful and sought after girl as his girlfriend. Jessie decides to use Forbes perfect girlfriend as the perfect weapon to drive him crazy.  Jessie devises a plan to try to steal Claire away as an act of revenge. Jessie however finds himself surprised when his attempts become real because he discovers Claire is actually the girl he really wants. She's perfect and he's completely in love. But Claire comes from a rich perfect family and Jessie is the opposite, he feels he doesn't have a chance in the world. Even more surprised is Claire, when she finds herself just  as attracted to Jessie as he is to her.  But the expectations for her are really high, can she abandon this perfect world she's created for herself on a whim?

They play cat and mouse for a while until they can't hide the truth and their feelings any longer. For a while everything seems to be going smoothly, and then some major unexpected events occur that completely compromise their relationship. Everything they struggled to achieve now hangs in the balance. Jessie wants to protect Claire, and that means not being with her. Claire is not ready to let go without a fight.

Jessie is supposed to be this big bad boy, but I really don't think he is. He has this big bad facade to keep people out. Based on what he has had to endure growing up, I can't say I blame him for doing so.  He feels the need to lie constantly so no one knows the truth about his life, I feel in doing so he sets himself up to have his own dreams crushed.  This is more than a story about love, it's a story about knowing when to let someone in, that it's OK to ask for help and yes there are actually people out there who will accept you for who you really are...if you let them that is.

The love connection between Claire and Jessie is intense! I was biting my nails and I had butterflies and I read this book in one sitting from 10% to finish. Once their emotional tirade begins it's impossible to put it down! I had to see how it all played out, I wanted so badly for them to be able to be together. I didn't like Claire at first, but as events played out I came to respect her. I liked Jessie from the beginning however. It started as pity, but then turned to adoration. He is just wonderful, completely selfless, surprisingly gentle and caring,  and incredibly smart. He has had to grow up way to fast, and sometimes that can ruin a person, but I think it brought out the best in Jessie.   I respect and admire him. And while I was skeptical of Claire at first, she definitely grew on me as well. She has a determination I envy and she feels so deeply it can be overwhelming.


6 comments:

  1. Haven't heard of this one -- you make it sound like something I would rally enjoy.

    And thanks for stopping by and chiming in about the evil that is captcha!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My blood boils just thinking about it! Stupid captcha!
      Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
    2. IT was a really great read! I would recommend it for sure :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the wonderful compliments and review. It makes me happy to know my story was able to draw you in so well. I love it when I start a book with the intention of reading a little bit and it's so intriguing I can't put it down. That's awesome! Thank you.

    -Georgia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I can't thank you enough for sharing this wonderful book with me! :D

      Delete
  3. This one sounds great and I appreciate all your thoughts in your review!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.