Monday, September 17, 2012

Review: The Diviners by Libba Bray

The Diviners
(The Diviners #1)

Author: Libba Bray

Publication Date: September 18th 2012

Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Genre: Historical Fiction / Paranormal

GoodReads

Synopsis:

Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City--and she is pos-i-toot-ly thrilled. New York is the city of speakeasies, shopping, and movie palaces! Soon enough, Evie is running with glamorous Ziegfield girls and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is Evie has to live with her Uncle Will, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult--also known as "The Museum of the Creepy Crawlies." When a rash of occult-based murders comes to light, Evie and her uncle are right in the thick of the investigation. And through it all, Evie has a secret: a mysterious power that could help catch the killer--if he doesn't catch her first.


My Thoughts: This was my first Libba Bray book and I have to just say, it was great! There were a lot of characters in the book, but once I figured out who was who, it easy to follow along. This book is based in the 1920's and was actually my first historical fiction taking place in this era. I really enjoyed it. I felt like my mind was in the 1920's the whole time that I was reading. Libba Bray does and excellent job setting the background and tone of the book. While I really liked this book, I wasn't attached to it to the point  that I was unable to put it down, it actually took me a week of picking it up multiple times to finish it (although I did have a very busy week, so that could be it too!). It was fairly easy to pick up on where I was left off and get back into the mindset of the era.

As I said, there are multiple characters in The Diviners. My favorites would have to be Evie (of course), Theta, Sam and Jericho. Evie was a character that I liked right away. I loved her snark and attitude and she just made me laugh from the beginning. Then she grows as a character and really starts becoming more responsible and thinks more of others. Theta is impossible not to love, especially after you find out her story. I felt so bad for her, but through it all she is a strong, independent female character. Sam is the good "bad" boy of  the book, how can I not love him? Jericho is a complicated  character and it took awhile for me to like him. He's another character who has been through a lot and knows that he could lose everything at any time. He's a great guy and clearly loves Evie! There are also many other characters, but it's really not that confusing once you meet them all!

Overall, The Diviners is a great story that just pulls you into the era. It's a bit disturbing in some parts (the murders are a little gross) but Libba Bray brings the 1920's to life for you. There is just the right amount of mystery and the romance isn't right in your face (it's barely there even). There is a paranormal aspect, but it's not overdone like it sometimes can be. It was a refreshing read for me that left me wanting more. Although it's a little slow to start out, it's necessary to know the characters individual stories. It's a great read that I will definitely be recommending to others!  If you like historical fiction with a touch of paranormal and mystery, this one is for you!

14 comments:

  1. Great review, Jenn! I'll have to check this one out ... I hear it's super big, but if the writing is good AND it's creepy? Well, that's a win-win!

    Thanks for sharing this! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was really good! It was quite long, but definitely worth the read! I hope you enjoy it when you get to it!

      Delete
  2. I'm not a historical reader but I find the 20s fascinating! I love creepy as well! I heard it is slow at times and really long with a lot of characters but I love multiple POVs. I'm curious about the paranormal aspect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love historical fiction, but it was my first 1920s book. It is a bit slow at times and is really long, but so worth the read! I also like multiple POVs!

      Delete
  3. I'm so excited to read this book! Oh, you have to read more Libby Bray - I love her :) I'm so glad you liked it, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) And I'm for sure going to be reading more by her!

      Delete
  4. I'm so excited to read this one. Libba Bray's Great and Terrible Beauty trilogy is one of my favorites.
    Thanks for linking your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so so so want to read this book! I've been wanting to read it since I first heard about it & your review only makes me want to read it more =)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only Libba Bray I've read is her Gemma Doyle trilogy, but I loved it and will definitely be trying more. I also felt like she really brought the era to life (Victorian era in the books I read), so I'd be excited to see how she presents the 1920's :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does a great job with the 1920's! I haven't read the Gemma Doyle series yet (I'm hopefully getting them this weekend!) but I really want to!

      Delete
  7. Glad you liked this Jenn! I've just started it and have been trying to stop myself from reading too many reviews, so I'm glad that it was spoiler-free as well. The beginning is super creepy so far; I love it! Overall I have a good feeling about this one. :) Her Gemma Doyle trilogy was oddly addictive but really dragged at parts so I hope this one holds my attention a bit more. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I try to keep my reviews spoiler free, I hate reading a review and coming across one! I hope you really enjoy it! It is quite good!

      I haven't read the Gemma Doyle trilogy yet, but I'm planning on it!

      Delete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.