Saturday, June 16, 2012

Review: Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Author: Laini Taylor

Publication Date: September 27th, 2011

Publisher: Little, Brown & Company

Genre: YA/Fantasy/Romance

GoodReads

Synopsis:

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages—not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out. When one of the strangers—beautiful, haunted Akiva—fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?


My Thoughts: This book has sat on my shelf for a couple months before I finally picked it up. I am so glad that I did! It's so strange and wonderful how a story that you love could just be sitting there waiting for you to explore it. Then you finally do and you wish you had of done so a lot sooner. Which is how I feel now. Why did it take me so long to read this book?! I loved it. Inside and out. It was such a great read!


It is a story about Angels and Demons, which of course is not a new idea. But this story brings in new lore new ideas, and new images, that are fresh, unique, and beautiful. Laini really knows how to paint a beautiful picture with words. Her words are a paintbrush and her book is a masterpiece. We get awesome detailed descriptions of all the beings, good or evil, throughout the story, but the two characters who get the most attention are Karou and Akiva. I could picture them in my mind down to the very finest detail, and even still I don't think my image of them probably did them justice. I wish I could see them brought to life. I'm sure it would be amazing. Especially Akiva hehe.


Akiva is an angel, who are at constant war with the demons, or Chimera. He is a soldier, so fighting them is what he was made for, trained at age five. It's all he knows, until he experiences an extremely life changing event.  Karou is undetermined, for the better part of the book. She has no idea who she is where she came from, where she belongs, she has nothing. She was raised by a Chimera named Brimstone, a sorcerer and collector of teeth. His domain is not in their world, but due to some magic there are portals to and from all over Earth. She assumes she's human, but knows for sure? She has gone her 17 years of life feeling empty, like she has a missing piece, just waiting for it all to come together. Her chance to find out about her past, which Brimstone has kept hidden from her, comes with the attack of the Angels. The Angels enter earth to burn and destroy all the portals that lead to "elsewhere".  Everything changes dramatically when Karou and Akiva come head to head. They are both turned on their heads, figuratively speaking. They are by nature, enemies. But something  that neither of them understands is pulling them together. The attraction here is so deep. I could feel it within myself. It's magnetic, they are literally pulled to each other. But none of it makes any sense. With Karou cut off from the only family she has ever known, thanks to the angels, including Akiva. Karou has no way to put the pieces together.


I love Karou. She is so fierce, strong, determined all the while being gentle, caring, considerate and soft. This seems impossible, but Karou is all these things and more. And the same applies to Akiva. His character is hard, strong, overwhelming, and yet he can be so kind, sensitive, and raw. These opposing qualities really pull us towards the characters I think. Knowing they are these strong people, even still, they have hearts and feelings, that can be hurt and broken.


Together Karou and Akiva try to put the pieces together. To find out what they feel so intensely about each other, they must first find out who Karou is. The answer is shocking. This book pulled me in so hard. I really liked it from the start, and my need to read and know more just kept climbing until the end. The more I read, the more I loved the story. I sighed with longing for more when it was over. I cannot wait for Days of Blood and Starlight!! When it was done, I hugged it. This is always a sign that I'm in love haha. How I react when the book is over is always the tell tale sign of how it affected me. If I readily close it and put it down, we know I didn't feel to strongly about it. But sometimes, you close your book reluctantly. If you're like me you right rub it, and even  hug it haha. I think you can tell I loved this book. So I think you know how many owls you're about to see. Go read this book! It's awesome! Thanks Laini Taylor for sharing with us this awesome story! I cannot wait to see what comes next!!


7 comments:

  1. KAROU! She's the kind of girl I wish was my best friend so I could hear her wacky stories and see her gorgeous blue hair and not believe anything she says although I'd be entertained anyways LOL. I didn't expect to love it that much either, but the writing and everything else was just STUNNING, and I can't wait to read Days of Blood and Starlight too! Have you seen the cover? SO GORGEOUS! <3

    Amazing review, Meghan! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I felt the exact same way! I wanted to be her friend in real life haha. What a character, just love her :). I can't wait for #2, I have seen the cover! It's super beautiful and will look so great on my bookshelf hehe.
      Thanks so much for your compliments!!! Really means a lot :)

      Delete
  2. Aw, this is one of those books that I've wanted to read since before it was released, but never got around to it. It sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find your way to it soon! It's such a great read :D!

      Delete
  3. I'm one of the few YA book lovers who has not read this book yet, and I assure you, I'm pining to read it. Especially after YOUR review...*phew*, I might just have to stop eating 3 meals a day and cut down to 2 so that I can get my hands on this book PRONTO! LOL :P

    Thank you SO much for your insightful and comprehensive review...absolutely LOVED IT! :)

    Name: Hira Hasnain
    Email: Enamoredsoul(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.