Monday, December 31, 2012

Review: The Peculiar by Stefan Bachmann

The Peculiar

Author: Stefan Bachmann

Publication Date: September 1st 2012

Publisher: Greenwillow Books

Genre: Fantasy

GoodReads

Synopsis:

Don't get yourself noticed and you won't get yourself hanged.

In the faery slums of Bath, Bartholomew Kettle and his sister Hettie live by these words. Bartholomew and Hettie are changelings--Peculiars--and neither faeries nor humans want anything to do with them.

One day a mysterious lady in a plum-colored dress comes gliding down Old Crow Alley. Bartholomew watches her through his window. Who is she? What does she want? And when Bartholomew witnesses the lady whisking away, in a whirling ring of feathers, the boy who lives across the alley--Bartholomew forgets the rules and gets himself noticed.

First he's noticed by the lady in plum herself, then by something darkly magical and mysterious, by Jack Box and the Raggedy Man, by the powerful Mr. Lickerish . . . and by Arthur Jelliby, a young man trying to slip through the world unnoticed, too, and who, against all odds, offers Bartholomew friendship and a way to belong.


My Thoughts: The Peculiar was one of the books that I was really looking forward to reading ever since I saw the cover and read the synopsis. I love the cover of this book! Unfortunately, it took me a long time to even get into this book. It's a fast read, but I just wasn't loving it as much as I had hoped I would until about the last 100 pages. So it did pick up and redeem itself for me, but still very hard for me to get into. I don't even know why. The writing was good so I think it might have just had a hard time connecting with the main characters. There were some points where it might have been a bit too descriptive, but I've read much more descriptive books and not had trouble with them. So it was a bit of a disappointment, but like I said, it picked up in the end.

There are two protagonists in this one. Bartholomew Kettle, who is a peculiar (changeling, half fay, half human). Then there is Arthur Jelliby, a high ranking young man in London who for some reason feels compelled to help Bartholomew find his sister who was kidnapped. I didn't really connect with either character, but will say that I liked Arthur more of the two. You kind of always know who the bad guy is, so it doesn't even keep you guessing with that.

Once the story picked up, it finished off as a good read. I do want to know what happened next though. So I will be reading the next book, The Whatnot, to see what happens. So this is a good read, but not as good as I had hoped, for me that is. Still a good middle grade read and I would probably recommend it still!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.