Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Review: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire
(The Hunger Games #2)

Author: Suzanne Collins

Publication Date: September 1st, 2009

Publisher: Scholastic Press

Genre: Dystopia

GoodReads

Synopsis:

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol - a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create. Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.


My Thoughts: Suzanne Collins is an amazing writer! Once again, she has created a story that keeps the reader captivated. Never knowing what would happen next, I had a hard time putting this book down, even though I had to at times due to mommy duties. This is another action packed novel that makes you want to laugh and cry all the time. Collins does not disappoint fans with this installation of the trilogy!

I developed a strong connection with Katniss in The Hunger Games and it only increased in Catching Fire. I have so much admiration for Katniss and her ability to continue on, even with all of the stress the Capitol puts on her. When she returned from the Hunger Games with Peeta, the Capitol realizes that things are headed towards a rebellion and they blame Katniss. She was the one who defied them with her stunt in the Games and made people realize that the Capitol isn't as powerful as they thought. Katniss just wants to get back to her life, to try and forget the Games ever happened. However, the Capitol is determined to make her life as miserable as possible. They need a way to kill her off, but the people love her so much that to do so would just cause the uprising they are trying to prevent. I will say though, I was definitely surprised with what happened in this book. Collins does not keep things predictable!

As for the "love" triangle. I still don't know whether Peeta or Gale would be the better choice. Katniss does realize  that she loves Gale, but she really cares for Peeta too. Then Gale shuts her out because of how she and Peeta have to act to try and diffuse the possible uprisings. Peeta loves her, of course. his feelings do nothing but get stronger, but can she love him? I don't know. I would probably love to see her with Peeta, they have been through so much together, Gale will never understand that part of her. I guess there is one more book to see how things turn out, so I won't have long to wait to see who she picks, if anyone!

There are some really shocking things that happen in this book, but I can't really go into any of it without giving away major events. But I will say that if you loved the Hunger Games, you will love Catching Fire as well. I'm so anxious to read Mockingjay and see how the story ends. Thankfully, it's already out! so I don't have to wait!

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you all the way! I loved The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. I feel like I know Katniss and totally understand her. I connected to her so much I started thinking I might be good with a bow and arrow.lol. You worded it perfectly about Gale and Peeta. Loved this review. I can't wait to see what you think of Mockingjay. I am reading it now. :) My co-author finished them all in a week (we both waited too long to read this series and we are both obsessed now).

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) These books were both great! I've already cracked open Mockingjay. Although, thanks to my husband, I seem to have a bit of a Minecraft addiction..
      I'm so curious to find out who she picks..haha
      I hope you're enjoying Mockingjay!
      I also waited way too long to read these..:P

      Delete
  2. I just finished this series not too long ago. One of my favorites of all time! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) It's quickly becoming a favorite for me!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Suzanne Collins is wonderful and these books are very special. I hope you enjoying Mockingjay. I wish I had these book's still ahead of me but I read them when they were new. I'm envious of anyone who is starting them for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I'm always envious of someone who reads a really great book or a series for the first time! It's just not the same to read it again, not that I won't read it again, since I've read my favorite series a couple times each. But you already know what's going to happen and there are no more surprises. Still grrat to read regardless!
      Thanks for visiting us :)

      Delete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.