Saturday, February 25, 2012

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games
(The Hunger Games #1)

Author: Susanne Collins

Publication Date: October 31st 2008

Publisher: Scholastic Press

Genre: Dystopia

GoodReads

Synopsis:

Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with everyone out to make sure you don't live to see the morning? In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister’s place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

My Thoughts: I feel like I have wasted so much time by not reading this. I have been putting it off and I'm not sure why. That being said, I now know why this book is all the rages right now. I finally understand why everyone is talking about it and why they're making a movie about it! This book was amazing, action packed, happy, sad. It was a major page turner (although, I did have to put it down at one point. Ants *shudder*) and did not help me get the sleep I desperately needed.

What I didn't like about this book: The ants.

What I did like: Everything else!

I'm sure most people know the general story line, since I'm one of the last people to read this, but for those of you that are terrible like me; the story revolves around Katniss Everdeen, told from her point of view, as she competes in the Hunger Games as a tribute from her district. There is a boy and a girl picked from each of the 12 districts, so a total of 24, all between the ages of 12 and 18. Their goal in the Games? To be the last one standing.

So basically, you get an action packed story full of teens trying, and succeeding, to kill each other. Why would you want to read this? I already told you, it's amazing. The millions of people who have already read it can't be wrong!

This is another dystopian, I seem to be on a roll with these, and most of the general population are being forced to do crappy manual labour, and aren't given nearly enough to eat. Many of the people resort to illegal actions to survive, including Katniss. Then there is the Capitol, where most people's biggest concern is what the newest fashion is, and betting on who will win the Games. They seem to genuinely enjoy watching the teens murder each other, which they would, since there are no tributes from the Capitol.

As per  usual with YA novels, there is a romance aspect. I don't think it's really that huge in this novel, which means my husband might actually enjoy the movie (he HATES Twilight). As for whose "team" I'm on, between Gale and Peeta, I can't say. Why? Because there's not really much to go on. They both seem to care for Katniss in their own way, but Gale has never really told her about it, and though Peeta does, Katniss thinks it's just an act for the cameras. Katniss genuinely cares for each boy, but she doesn't seem to really be deeply in love with either. So I'll just have to watch how the relationships unfold in the rest of the trilogy.

So, if you still  haven't read this book, and still have no urge to, you're missing out. If it's on your TBR list, I highly recommend breaking it out before the movie comes out next month. Reading the book is always better if you haven't already seen the movie! You are missing out on an amazing book!! Although, I am glad that the whole trilogy is out because I have to read the rest now and waiting just wouldn't be a good option. I definitely recommend this book to everyone!! Go read it now!

6 comments:

  1. Great review! I just convinced my mom to read book 1 and she steam rolled through the whole series in 3 days. It has definitely set the bar for other dystopians. I would love to be able to teach it and possibly pair it with Lord of the Flies and/or 1984. I can't wait for the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      I wish my mom was into books like this, but she only reads Danielle Steel and the like.
      It set the bar high! Which is a good thing. Teaching it would be awesome, would make teens appreciate books more.

      Delete
  2. This serie is so good! I can't wait for the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited for the movie, but I don't think I'll be able to go see it right away :(

      Delete
  3. I'm reading this right now! I'm so in love with it I don't know why I waited so long to read it either!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.