Friday, October 19, 2012

Review: Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Catching Jordan
(Catching Jordan #1)

Author: Miranda Kenneally

Publication Date: December 1st, 2011

Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire

Genre: Contemporary / Realistic Fiction

GoodReads

Synopsis:

ONE OF THE BOYS. What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university.

But everything she's ever worked for is threatened when Ty Greeen moves to her school. Not only is he an amazing QB, but he's also amazingly hot. And for the first time, Jordan's feeling vulnerable. Can she keep her head in the game while her heart's on the line?


My Thoughts: For not liking football, I really enjoyed Catching Jordan. I know, saying I don't like football is crazy but hey, I'm a Canadian. I actually don't really like hockey either.. BUT I do like soccer (or actual football ;) )! So I'm not completely anti-sports. Maybe it was the surplus of testosterone, or maybe the brilliant writing. Once I started reading, I couldn't stop. Miranda Kenneally is now one of my favourite contemporary authors.

I really liked Jordan, she wasn't afraid to go after what she wanted, even if nobody believed she could do it. Her father didn't believe in her or at least didn't want to see her get hurt. But she did have a few devoted supporters. Her mom, brother and best friend Sam Henry all believed in her. She really seemed to push herself more than it seemed she needed, but she was a girl on the football team and I guess she felt she needed to prove her worth. Which she did, considering she was the captain and the quarterback and the star player of the team. This may seem completely ignorant of me, but are there generally not girl football teams in high school? We didn't have football at my high school, but we did have a girls rugby team (which might be even rougher!). Regardless, Jordan fits in quite well with her team and is one of the guys, until Ty shows up. Not only is she instantly attracted to him (not love, lust! So no insta fall in love here) but he's after her position. Being in her final year, she needs to be able to concentrate on the game, there are recruiters coming to watch after all.

Miranda Kenneally does a great job writing an emotional story that pulls you in and doesn't let go. There were times when I laughed out loud, Jordan and the guys antics are great! There were other times when my heart broke for Jordan, I don't have the best relationship with my dad, so not having him there for the most important events for her was really relatable. I will say that I never really like Ty, I'm not really sure why, it seemed like he was using her for awhile, plus he's just so bossy and controlling. I was rooting for Henry the whole time! I love when the best friends realize that they love each other!

If you're looking for a great contemporary that is written well, has some first love and drama, you should check this one out. Even if you don't like football or any sports, you might still like it, I know I did! I'm looking forward to jumping into Stealing Parker, the companion book to Catching Jordan!

8 comments:

  1. I am Canadian and I hate football. YOU'RE NOT ALONE!

    I really liked this one, too. I was worried about the football stuff, but it all worked out. Made me want the next book!

    I never liked Ty, either. He just seemed ... sketchy.

    Great review, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and I know right? Ty just worried me, I still feel like there was some other motive behind him..

      Delete
  2. I loved this book. It dealt with so many issues all in one book. family, love, friendship, independance. It was great. Oh and good thing you don't live in Texas. Yo could be kicked out for not liking football. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, good thing I don't then ;) This book was awesome and I loved it, and I really enjoyed that it did deal with all of those issues!

      Delete
  3. I'm Canadian and I don't like football either! So don't worry!

    I've heard so many good things about this book and, while not a contemporary reader, I think I'll give this one a try.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should check it out :) It's always good to try a new genre!

      Delete
  4. Haha, no, there aren't girl football teams in high school. It's very rare to see a girl playing on an actual football team. It's pretty kick-ass when they make it though. Oh for sure, I think rugby is rougher. We have it here too, but not everywhere. I think this book sounds cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there just not enough interest? It seems weird to me..lol Rugby is totally rough, which is why I never played!

      This book is cute! As is the next one, Stealing Parker, which I liked even more!

      Delete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.