Monday, October 8, 2012

Review: Mystic City by Theo Lawrence

Mystic City

Author: Theo Lawrence

Publication Date: October 9th, 2012

Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers

Thank you NetGalley for the review copy!

Genre: Dystopia

GoodReads

Synopsis:

Aria Rose, youngest scion of one of Mystic City's two ruling rival families, finds herself betrothed to Thomas Foster, the son of her parents' sworn enemies. The union of the two will end the generations-long political feud—and unite all those living in the Aeries, the privileged upper reaches of the city, against the banished mystics who dwell below in the Depths. But Aria doesn't remember falling in love with Thomas; in fact, she wakes one day with huge gaps in her memory. And she can't conceive why her parents would have agreed to unite with the Fosters in the first place. Only when Aria meets Hunter, a gorgeous rebel mystic from the Depths, does she start to have glimmers of recollection—and to understand that he holds the key to unlocking her past. The choices she makes can save or doom the city—including herself.


My Thoughts: I love, love, love, love this book!  I am not sure, but I think it might be because it took all of my favourite genres and combined  them into an incredible book of epic-ness. Dystopia, paranormal and romance all meshed together to make Mystic City.

We start out with Aria waking up with selective amnesia pertaining to her star-crossed relationship with the son of her family's enemy.  Then it all goes down from there and it is a fun rollercoaster ride.  Once I picked up this book I simply couldn't put it down.  I had a lot of theories running through my head, some of which were completely off-base and some which were pretty accurate.  But this book really kept me immersed in the world.

Aria is a really smart girl who pretty much figures that something is up with her selective amnesia.  When evidence starts piling up that something is fishy is going on, she isn't hesitant to find out what.  At times, I found, she could be a little foolish.  But who wasn't at least a little foolish as a teenager?

Hunter is gorgeous, brave, mysterious and snark - everything I love in my novel-men.  He is committed to making the world better and firmly believes in equality for all people.  God, he is almost too perfect, but I love it.

Mystic City had me sitting on the edge of my seat for a good part of the novel and I never put it down.  It is one of my favourite dystopian novels so far and I would pretty much recommend it to anyone who was looking for something to read.




2 comments:

  1. Great review! I can't wait to read this book! I also love that Lawrence mixed all my favorite genres too. I hope to read it soon.

    Anatea @ Anatea's Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great and I really enjoyed it! I hope you get to it soon too :)

      Delete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.