Friday, July 13, 2012

Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones

Author: Cassandra Clare

Publication Date: March 27th, 2007

Publisher: Margart K. McElderry Books

Genre: YA/Fantasy/Paranormal/Romance

GoodReads

Synopsis:

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy? This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . . Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.


My Thoughts:  My first thoughts?  Where has it been all my life?! haha. I've heard of these book forever and have wanted to read them, but just now have I finally cracked open the first book in the Mortal Instrument Series. I find myself asking a question I ask myself often, What took me so long to read this?! I read the first two books in the Infernal Devices series at the very beginning of the year, I then bought the first three books in the Mortal Instruments series and they've been sitting my on shelf so patiently waiting for my to discover how amazing they are.


Yes, this book was amazing! It's one of those books that gets right under your skin. You can't stop thinking about it when you're not reading it and when you are reading it you can't stop turning those pages. The characters in this story have taken up residence in my head and refuse to leave. I can't stop thinking about them, imagining them, feeling like I know them personally. It's tortuous right now because we're moving in 11 days and I just packed all my books except the few I was reading away. Including the next two books in the series that I own. The need to know more about these characters, to see what happens next is eating away at me. Either I will suffer until we move and I unpack them, or the desire will drive me mad until I unpack all my books to find them haha. I feel like with every book I read by Cassandra Clare I fall more and more in love with her writing. She really has a gift! I hope she write many more books for many more years so I can continue being enraptured by her incredible story telling. I know I need to get out there and buy the rest of the books in the series that  I don't own. As soon as possible!


This story knocked my off my feet (metaphorically speaking of course) so many times. Things kept happening that just completely shocked me or blew my mind. It carries so many surprises and twists, you just never know what is going to happen on the next page! Reading this book was so exciting and intense. It's a wild ride haha. I think it's a book people of all ages would love and I feel like no matter what genre you are usually into that you would like it because it's just such a great story line. But if you do enjoy stories about angels and demons and warlocks and vampires and all those awesome things, you are going to love this book! I guarantee it! I haven't heard of anyone yet who have read this book and didn't like it. I'm sure some have, but I have yet to find them.


The main character Clary is this amazing girl who is wise, strong, and smart beyond her fifteen years. She goes from completely oblivious to the fantastical world around her to being throw headfirst into it, right smack in the middle and pretty much alone. For all the things thrown her way, she handles it all with  such strength and composure, it's incredible. I developed a series sense of respect for her throughout the story. I also fell completely in love with Jace. He is a total smart-alec, reserved, and kind of cocky guy. But he is incredibly protective of those he cares about, fiercely so. Plus his background story really endears you to him, it's unavoidable I think.


I find myself not wanting to tell you anything about the actual story line, besides what you learn in the summary. I want you to be as shocked, surprised and in love as I was. It's a nail biting, page turning, awesome journey that you will be so glad you took. Full of vivid characters and amazing story line and that's pretty much all I am going to tell you haha. You will have to read this one for yourself. I really mean that to. you HAVE to read this :) Take a wild guess how many owls will be at the bottom of this review!


4 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you liked this! City of Bones is one of my favourite books -- and Mortal Instruments one of my favourite series! I hope you enjoy the rest of the books in the series just as much! And be sure to read The Infernal Devices books, too -- you'll fall in love with them, as well. :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read the first two books in the infernal devices series already :) they were what made me want to read this series. I am in complete love with both series! :D Cassandra Clare has gained a new fan-girl in me hehe :) Thanks so much for the nice comment!! :D

      Delete
  2. Ah I'm so glad you liked it! I read it a long time ago and I was already hooked. Isn't Cassandra Clare such a great author? Storylines and character development is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great dramatic series. The twists and turns definitely keep you guessing!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.