Saturday, July 14, 2012

Review: Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski

Ten Things We DId (and Probably Shouldn't Have)

Author: Sarah Mlynowski

Publication Date: June 7, 2011

Publisher: HarperTeen

Genre: Contemporary

GoodReads

Synopsis:

2 girls + 3 guys + 1 house - parents = 10 things April and her friends did that they (definitely, maybe, probably) shouldn't have.

If given the opportunity, what sixteen-year-old wouldn't jump at the chance to move in with a friend and live parent-free? Although maybe "opportunity" isn't the right word, since April had to tell her dad a tiny little untruth to make it happen (see #1: "Lied to Our Parents"). But she and her housemate Vi are totally responsible and able to take care of themselves. How they ended up "Skipping School" (#3), "Throwing a Crazy Party" (#8), "Buying a Hot Tub" (#4), and, um, "Harboring a Fugitive" (#7) at all is kind of a mystery to them.

In this hilarious and bittersweet tale, Sarah Mlynowski mines the heart and mind of a girl on her own for the first time. To get through the year, April will have to juggle a love triangle, learn to do her own laundry, and accept that her carefully constructed world just might be falling apart . . . one thing-she-shouldn't-have-done at a time.



My Thoughts: This genre is a little bit outside of the realm of my normal Paranomal/Fantasy preference, but not an uncommon genre for me to read. When I originally read the summary I was super excited to read the book - it sounded like a hilarious blast. I was prepped for hilarity, stupidity and a bunch of one-liners. Well, stupidity I got.

April's parents are divorced. Her Mom lives in Paris with her new husband and her brother Michael and she lives with her Dad and her new step-Mom Penny. When April's Dad accepts a better job in a new state (conveniently Penny's home state, near her parents), April is devastated and refuses to leave her life, friends and boyfriend behind on a whim. She somehow manages to convince her Dad (who gave her a 10 PM curfew) to let her move in with a friend and her Mom - who he had only spoken to through email.

April liked to pretend that she was independent, but it becomes abundantly clear that she was sheltered when she didn't know how to operate the dishwasher and had never gone on a grocery shopping trip. She spends the money her father gives her for necessities and rent on frivolities (a hot tub, really?). She has a long-term boyfriend that is acting super strange and seems to be avoiding sex with her like the plague, despite being all for it previously. On top of that, they have huge parties and decide to skip school. Their place quickly becomes a hang-out.

I didn't mind this novel up until almost the very end. For everything these girls did and all of the lies they weaved, I was expecting a major climatic situation - which didn't happen. Not in the slightest. We had a small climatic scene, but it was hardly what I would call a resolution or even a conflict. The ending seemed quick, didn't tie up any loose ends and was incredibly open-ended. I felt like I worked through the novel for absolutely nothing.

I'm not sure if I would recommend this book unless someone was just looking for something to fill the time. It was anti-climatic and, I don't know, I just didn't really enjoy it all that much. What did you guys think of it?



8 comments:

  1. I had this one on my to-buy wishlist, but I took it off. Might just be a library read! I've heard really good things, though! Yours is a very honest review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I try to be honest! I would say try to get it from the library if you want to read it. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this book as much as you had liked.. I really liked it, but I can see what you mean about the anti-climatic ending. I kind of wished I could have seen how her parents would have reacted to her behavior. And that boyfriend of hers, made me so upset! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that boyfriend was something else. I was so looking forward to her father's reaction, but alas it was in vain. I am glad that you enjoyed it though :) Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  3. Aw crude, I just downloaded this the other day. Oh well, at least it was cheap. lol. I hate when so much happens, but then no real climax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there was a lot of build up and it just fell short of it. It was kind of disappointing for me :(

      Delete
  4. This book was nice but the end...please
    I have a essay to write on this book and i dont know what's the climax and falling action ughh!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book was nice but the end...please
    I have a essay to write on this book and i dont know what's the climax and falling action ughh!!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.