Thursday, July 5, 2012

Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection
The Selection #1

Author: Kiera Cass

Publication Date: April 24, 2012

Publisher: HarperTeen

Genre: Fantasy/Dystopia

GoodReads

Synopsis:

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.



My Thoughts: Okay, so I really enjoyed this book. It was like a strange mixture of The Hunger Games and speed dating. The castes are comparatively similar to the Districts in The Hunger Games and the “selection” process is similar. Only, instead of competing in a match to the death you compete to be matched – with Prince Maxon.

The Selection drew me in instantly and I barely put it down. I loved the plot, I loved the settings and I fell in love with the characters. America is humble and just wants to follow her heart. Aspen is hard-working, determined, and proud and let’s face it, gorgeous. Maxon not only surprised America, but me as well. I was expecting someone completely different than who he turned out to be, but I enjoyed him immensely.

The Selection left me wanting more and I cannot wait for The Elite to come out in Spring 2013. The only thing that stopped this book from getting a solid 5-Owl rating from me was the seeming lack of climax. It built up and up and I thought numerous things could have happened at the end to give it the overwhelming high of a novel climax. I was expecting something more to happen between America and Maxon, something more to happen with the rebels, some sort of falling out with Celeste (one of the other Selects) – but I was sorely disappointed. I just wished the book left me with stunned: “I can’t believe that just happened” feeling. However, it says a lot that despite that I enjoyed the book immensely.

If you liked The Hunger Games or enjoy watching shows like The Bachelor, you are going to LOVE The Selection. If you don’t like either of those things, you will still probably love The Selection.





7 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it - I also thought this book was a fab read! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I really enjoyed this one. I read it super quick - I just couldn't put it down :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this one, too! But like you, I wished there was a little more of a climax. I thought it ended a little too soon -- I wished something bigger happened and THEN the ending. Ah well ... I did like it enough to get the next one! I loved the mix of Hunger Games and speed dating!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am getting the next one too, no question. I suspect a lot of the action will happen in #2 and I am REALLY looking forward to it!!

      Delete
  4. Okay, that last sentence made me laugh. I have had this ARC forever and still haven't read it. I did hear that it ended abruptly, so I'll be ready for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did end abruptly, which was rather disheartening. I did enjoy the story though and it is worth the read! :)

      Delete
  5. I was enchanted with this mix of programs like The Bachelor and THG-reality-show ocmpetition linke in a Dystopian world and finally I've read a review that says you luved despite of flaw, and that is not boring and superficial and not even dystopian ant all =/ I'm glad I've read your review - and I can't wait for it to be publishished in Brazil (it will be soon, so I'll wait instead of buying it in English ^^)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.