Monday, July 16, 2012

Review: Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Under the Never Sky
(Under the Never Sky #1)

Author: Veronica Rossi

Publication Date: January 3, 2012

Publisher: HarperCollins

Genre: Fantasy/Dystopia

GoodReads

Synopsis:

Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. This was worse.
Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland - known as The Death Shop - are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild - a savage - and her only hope of staying alive.
A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile - everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.



My Thoughts: I'll be honest, I didn't think I was going to be able to finish this one. I found the beginning hard to get into and I really have no idea why. A mystery I am still pondering. I am happy I carried on though, because it was certainly worth it!

Under the Never Sky is a dystopian novel about Aria - a girl with a wonderful singing voice who has been raised in protective domes known as pods. Aether is a fiery substance that covers the outside world, setting things afire and causing mutations in the "outsiders". When Aria's world is turned upside down and she suddenly finds herself outside of the safety of her home in Reverie she has to rely on an outsider named Perry to help her.

I am just going to restate here that I have no clue why I disliked this book at the beginning, as I am totally in love with it now.

Peregrine (Perry) is the strong, silent type and it shows. At the beginning he spoke only when needed to and practiced some tough-love on Aria when she was being difficult. I enjoyed him immensely, especially when his best friend Roar shows up later in the novel. I had to give props to Aria as well. She had a lot of stuff thrown at her and she took it all in a believable stride.

My favourite part of this novel had to be the romance aspect though. In no way did it feel rushed or out of place. Perry and Aria were not instant friends, let alone love interests to each other. The way they slowly warmed up to each other instead of a love-at-first-sight phenomenon really made me admire their relationship.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and even the ending. I look forward to the next one. If you haven't read it, pick it up. If you got stuck at the beginning like me please trudge on - it's worth it!





7 comments:

  1. I thought this book was fab - really really enjoyed it! Also I'm totally in love with Perry :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perry is great! I could just eat him up, he is so caring and sweet. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you made it through the beginning and really enjoyed it. This is one that I need to make time for. I love the slow romance the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I got passed the beginning too! I have no idea what held me up, looking back I love it all. They had a great romance, slow building but very rewarding as a reader. :)

      Delete
  3. I've been thinking about reading this book for a while now. Thanks for the heads up about the slow beginning. If I'm not hooked by page 50 I usually stop. If I find I am about to do that I will keep going and trust that it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stop around the middle, I'll admit. I did push on through this one though because I had heard such good things about it.

      Delete
  4. I love it when I keep pushing through a beginning that's off putting for some reason and end up finding a gem of a story. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.