Friday, July 27, 2012

Review: What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor

What I Didn’t Say

Author: Keary Taylor

Publication Date: April 30, 2012

Publisher: CreateSpace

Genre: Contemporary/Realistic Fiction

GoodReads

Synopsis:

Getting drunk homecoming night your senior year is never a good idea, but Jake Hayes never expected it all to end with a car crash and a t-post embedded in his throat.
His biggest regret about it all? What he never said to Samantha Shay. He's been in love with her for years and never had the guts to tell her. Now it's too late. Because after that night, Jake will never be able to talk again.

When Jake returns to his small island home, population 5,000, he'll have to learn how to deal with being mute. He also finds that his family isn't limited to his six brothers and sisters, that sometimes an entire island is watching out for you. And when he gets the chance to spend more time with Samantha, she'll help him learn that not being able to talk isn’t the worst thing that could ever happen to you. Maybe, if she'll let him, Jake will finally tell her what he didn't say before, even if he can't actually say it.



My Thoughts: What a beautiful story! It also teaches a great lesson, there are always consequences for your actions. I tend to really enjoy realistic fiction since it's somewhat easier to imagine, therefore I get really emotionally involved with the characters. What I Didn't Say was no exception to this. Keary Taylor crafts a wonderful story that makes you realize how quickly your life can change. It's scary really, but a great story nonetheless.

What I Didn't Say is from the point of view of Jake Hayes, hooray for male protagonists! Jake has been forever in love with Samantha Shay since he saw her, but has never had the courage to tell her. Well, add a little liquid courage and a couple of friends egging him on and the three of them take off to go to Sam's house so Jake can proclaim his love for her. Well, with the three of them being drunk and a deer jumping out in front of them, Jake's life is changed forever. He completely loses his voice box, so he'll never speak again. But it could be worse, he could be dead. He feels like his life is over though and he never got to tell Samantha how much he loved her, now he never can.

One of the things I dislike more than anything else is drinking and driving. Nothing good ever comes of it and you put others at risk when you make the decision to get behind the wheel drunk. Jake was extremely luck, that accident could have been much worse. He definitely learned his lesson and decided not to drink after that day. Although, he does have to live with never being able to talk again. But somehow, his accident brings him even closer to the girl he's been in love with forever, Samantha Shay. He soon realizes that something is going on with Sam and she won't tell anyone what it is. People are not always who you think they are.

I thought that this book was very well written. It was pretty hard to put down and I really enjoy Keary Taylor's writing style. It makes you realize that you can't take anything for granted. Life is always changing, not always for the best. What I Didn't Say is definitely a book that I will be recommending. It is an adorable love story, but not everything goes smoothly. It's fairly quickly paced and I enjoyed that there were flashbacks and it that it's written like a countdown. If you like realistic fiction, you definitely should read this!






8 comments:

  1. I have this on my kindle and I really want to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy you like this one! I got it from NetGalley and can't wait to start reading it. Love a good contemporary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It was so sad and cute and fun! I hope you end up liking it!

      Delete
  3. I LOVED this book! I loved the characters and the themes and the story and the romance:)

    Great review:) Keary's amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She is pretty awesome! It's such an adorable story!

      Delete
  4. I have this on my kindle, and now I can't wait to read it! Thanks for the great review. (:

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.