Thursday, July 19, 2012

Review: Forbidden by Syrie James & Ryan M. James

Forbidden

Author: Syrie James & Ryan M. James

Publication Date: January 24, 2012

Publisher: HarperTeen

Genre: Fantasy

GoodReads

Synopsis:

She should not exist.

He should not love her.

Claire Brennan has been attending Emerson Academy for two years now (the longest she and her mom have remained anywhere) and she's desperate to stay put for the rest of high school. So there's no way she's going to tell her mom about the psychic visions she's been having or the creepy warnings that she's in danger.

Alec MacKenzie is fed up with his duties to watch and, when necessary, eliminate the descendants of his angelic forefathers. He chose Emerson as the ideal hiding place where he could be normal for once. He hadn't factored Claire into his plans. . . .

Their love is forbidden, going against everything Alec has been taught to believe. But when the reason behind Claire's unusual powers is revealed and the threat to her life becomes clear, how far will Alec go to protect her?



My Thoughts: Forbidden is a Romeo and Juliet love story that I enjoyed.  It features two descendants of angels.  Alec was forbidden to leave his post, Claire was forbidden to exist and they are both forbidden to fall in love.

One of the things that really stood out to me about this novel, in comparison to others of its kind, is how much Claire cannot keep a secret.   The moment she knows something, so do her best friends.  There is no secret side-life that cuts her away from her besties.  She chooses not to let one small aspect of her life change her and her relationships.

Alec just wants to be normal, despite his upbringing and past.  He wants to go to high school and he wants to be left alone.  Too bad that he made friends with Claire (a danger magnet) and they fall for each other hard.

I really enjoyed the back story of this novel.  Claire's story isn't the only one I am interested in.  Her mother was seventeen when she got pregnant by Claire's father and they had a whirlwind romance.  They got married and lived happily for a while as well, before he left.  I really want to see more of them when the next book comes out (which I am sure we will).

The reason that this book only gets a four star instead of five is because I feel that Alec and Claire fell in love way too quickly.  I think it was something like a week and a half and they were willing to die for each other.  I just wish that the authors had given them a little bit more time to flush it out.  I mean, it didn't feel rushed when I was reading it, but looking back on it now it seems a little silly.

Overall, Forbidden was intriguing and I can't wait to read the rest of the story in the next book(s).





4 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so glad you liked this one. I've been meaning to get this book. I love books about nephilim :) great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nephilim are one of my favourite things to read about too. There is so much authors can do with them :) Thanks for stopping by~

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a great read. I think it is good that the love didn't seem to quick while you were reading this one- only after when you had time to think about it. Awesome review!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! While reading it everything seemed fine. Then I stopped and figured out the timeline for it and laughed a little to myself. But I did really enjoy it :)

      Delete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.