Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Review: Breaking the Devil's Heart by H.A Goodman

Breaking the Devil's Heart

Author: H.A Goodman

Publication Date: May 4th, 2012

Publisher: Outskirts Press, Inc

Genre: YA/Fantasy

GoodReads

Synopsis:

When Stewart and Layla recruit a demon to spy on the Devil, their decision takes them on whirlwind ride through the afterlife. Journey alongside this young couple in H. A. Goodman’s new novel, Breaking the Devil’s Heart, and join forces with a teenage Angel outcast to bankrupt Satan's underground Company and save Heaven from civil war. H. A. Goodman's Breaking the Devil’s Heart is a rollercoaster afterlife experience that tests a young couple's love, their grasp on reality, and the essence of human nature. What happens when Stewart and Layla tour Hell’s Marketing Department and Stock Exchange? What happens when their relationship is tested by Satan? This book is unlike anything you’ve ever read, or ever thought the afterlife might be like. Breaking the Devil’s Heart is an enlightening look into an alternate world, a new afterlife, and a profound journey inside the human conscience.


My Thoughts:  Breaking the Devil's Heart was nothing like what I expected when I opened it up. This is a battle between heaven and hell like you've never heard of or imagined before.  We get a brand new idea as to what happens after we die. Since no one really knows for sure, the ideas are really endless. But this one was well planned and thought out, really unique, and quite in depth.

Another thing I was not expecting was the darkness it contained. Of course when reading a book about hell and battles, you are expecting a certain level of evil and darkness. But at many times while reading this I was completely shocked,  horrified, disgusted, even a little physically nauseous. Most of the time it was a good thing, that sounds weird I know, but it was just good writing and it played into the story so well that it made sense to be feeling that way. But there were points where it went just a little to far for me. But these moments were few and far between.

The book continued to surprise me. Even when I thought I had it figured it, I totally didn't. I love when a book can totally knock you off your feet and make you stop and think...wait...what?!...really!? Reading this book was like a good workout for the mind. It was very deep, incredibly thought provoking, as well as inspirational and motivating.  On top of all that we got a few history lessons. Mostly of humanity's darker times. They were anything but boring though to say the least. More like giant eye openers.

In all, you can tell a lot of work and a mass amount of thought went into this story. It had it's lighter, happy moments, but mostly we walked in shadows and sadness. I do enjoy a dark story, but this one might have been borderline for me. It was full of unsuspecting plot twists, and lots of interesting, but also really sad, facts and information. I would probably recommend it, but I would definitely be wary of who I recommended it to, and I would definitely give a warning that they should be prepared to stomach some terrible things. but I did enjoy it, and i definitely respect the work put into the story!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.