Monday, August 13, 2012

Review: Shadow Eyes by Dusty Crabtree

Shadow Eyes

Author: Dusty Crabtree

Publication Date: July 15, 2012

Publisher: Musa Publishing

Genre: Paranormal

GoodReads

Synopsis:

Iris Kohl lives in a world populated by murky shadows that surround, harass, and entice unsuspecting individuals toward evil. But she is the only one who can see them. She’s had this ability to see the shadows, as well as brilliantly glowing light figures, ever since an obscure, tragic incident on her fourteenth birthday three years earlier.

Although she’s learned to cope, the view of her world begins to shift upon the arrival of three mysterious characters. First, a handsome new teacher whose presence scares away shadows; second, a new friend with an awe-inspiring aura; and third, a mysterious and alluring new student whom Iris has a hard time resisting despite already having a boyfriend.

As the shadows invade and terrorize her own life and family, she must ultimately revisit the most horrific event of her life in order to learn her true identity and become the hero she was meant to be.



My Thoughts: This book really caught me off guard a number of times.  Just when I thought I had gotten a handle on what was going to happen or what was going on I was thrown a curve ball.  Once I started reading this one I couldn't put it down because I just had to find out what the deal was and how everything was going to turn out.

I think the summary is pretty detailed and accurate, so I am going to jump right into my thoughts on this one. I really like every single on of the characters (good and bad).  The book doesn't just center around Iris and what is going on in her own little world, but spans out to the other characters - like her mothers and sisters. Basically, Iris doesn't get so wrapped up in herself and her problems that she forgets about everyone else.

There is a HUGE build up throughout the book all the way up to the end.  I had some of it figured out but a good chunk of it remained a mystery to me up until a paragraph or two before it was about to happen.  I like that - that is what kept me marathon reading it.

The only downside, for me, to this book was probably the very end.  When it came to Iris and her love (not telling :) ) I just found it fell a little flat in the last scene.  I wish the author had just taken it a small step farther and showed us a little past where the book ended so we could get a better grasp on what happened after when everything turned back into semi-normal.  I think that would have left it with more closure after the big build up.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the read and had lots of fun trying to figure it out.



4 comments:

  1. I was taken in by the cover--very beautiful. Now that I now what it's about, I'll think about it. I hate bad endings and bad beginnings for that matter.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beginning was great. The ending just cut-off a bit too abruptly for my tastes, which is kind of a pet-peeve of mine :) There is a sequel coming out, so I would recommend reading this when the sequel is released so you can jump right into the next one. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review and I'm glad you enjoyed it! If it makes you feel any better, I'm working on the sequel right now. Haha. Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the wonderful book! I will be sure to check out the sequel :)

      Delete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.