Thursday, August 9, 2012

Review: Phoenix by Jennifer Mason-Black

Phoenix

Author: Jennifer Mason-Black

Publication Date: May 11th, 2012

Publisher: Musa Publishing

Genre: YA

GoodReads

Synopsis:

Would you recognize hope if you looked into its eyes? At sixteen, Tucker has nothing but the clothes on his back, the bruises on his ribs, and the truth about what happened between him and the band teacher. He left home looking to escape his memories, but all he’s found on the road are new bad ones to take their place. Then he meets Gabriel, a beautiful hustler, and Kelsey, a fire-obsessed girl with a head full of fairy tales. After Gabriel rescues him from a pair of drunks looking for a fight, Tucker’s happy to join him in the abandoned factory he calls home. All he must do in return is help keep Kelsey safe. But Kelsey’s not what Tucker thinks she is, and safety isn’t what she needs from him. To help her, he’ll have to face the secret he’s been running from, and the flames she’s running to find.


My Thoughts: I absolutely loved this book. The entire thing read like this beautiful poem. Everything about it, every line written was beautiful, meaningful, and packed a punch. It's a short, but really great read and I seriously think everyone should probably read it.


I'll be honest and say I initially picked this book to review because it's called Phoenix, which just happens to be my oldest son's name. But wow am I ever glad I did pick it! I can't really say a whole lot because it was such a short story. But I know that I will be looking out for more of Jennifer's work for sure. She has some incredible talent! Her writing style is not one you encounter often, she has a way with words that left me reeling.


The story focuses on Tucker, a teenager thrown to the curb because he loves boys instead of girls. The entire story carries a tragedy about it, but at the same time it's somehow really wonderful. He by chance meets a young man and woman with whom he joins forces. The woman, Kelsey, has something wrong with her. She seems completely insane, but maybe that's not the case. Just maybe her nonsensical statements are based on truth and reality. Inexplicable things happen and Tucker is faced with the unbelievable, and yet finds himself a believer when Gabriel, the other male in the group, runs off and Tucker is left to protect Kelsey on his own.


Again I just want to say, this book was stunningly well written and I'm pretty sure I'll be reading it more than once. I really think everyone should read it. But I should say there are cases of sex and homosexuality, so if that isn't your thing maybe you shouldn't read it. On the other hand, it shouldn't matter, this book is beautiful, go read it! Thanks so much to Musa Publishing for the review copy!


1 comment:

  1. I'm sure that more than one kid has face this.

    I'm new to following you thanks to RCCleanup and am inviting you to visit my blog at http://emaginette.wordpress.com/ when you have some time.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.