Wednesday, August 1, 2012

St. Vladimir's Summer School: Spirit Bound

Ashelynn at Gypsy Book Reviews, Jen at Jen Ryland/YA Romantics and Steph at The Fake Steph Dot Com  started the St. Vladimir's Summer School. So I figured I would tag along and read some Vampire Academy since I still hadn't read it!! Lauren at The Headless Owl has also joined us!

 So i'm a little late getting my post up today, I know it's not really an excuse, but I have been working nights (which is when I normally do the majority of my reading and post writing!) and getting up at 7am after about 5 hours of sleepwith my daughter, who won't let me on the computer at all anymore when she's awake. So now that she's napping, I can get my post written up since I DID actually finish Spirit Bound! Amazingly, since I only started it Monday night.

Spirit Bound
(Vampire Academy #5)

Author: Richelle Mead

Publication Date: May 18th 2010

Publisher: Razorbill

Genre: Urban Fantasy / Paranormal

GoodReads

Synopsis:

Dimitri gave Rose the ultimate choice. But she chose wrong...

After a long and heartbreaking journey to Dimitri's birthplace in Siberia, Rose Hathaway has finally returned to St. Vladimir's-and to her best friend, Lissa. It is nearly graduation, and the girls can't wait for their real lives beyond the Academy's iron gates to begin. But Rose's heart still aches for Dimitri, and she knows he's out there, somewhere.

She failed to kill him when she had the chance. And now her worst fears are about to come true. Dimitri has tasted her blood, and now he is hunting her. And this time he won't rest until Rose joins him... forever.


My Thoughts: Alright, I can't wait to see how this series ends. I can't believe there is only one more book! It's somewhat saddening! I absolutely loved Spirit Bound! (Of course) and can't believe some of the things that happened in it! There was just  so much going on!

So Rose had returned to school and finally graduates, with the best marks in her class. Then it's off to the Royal Court where the new graduates will learn who they will be guarding in the future. Not that we ever get to the point of knowing who Rose will be guarding because once again, she takes off. This time she takes Lissa and Eddie with her and they break into a prison, the one that Victor is being held in, to bust him out. Then they head to Los Vegas to meet Victor's brother, another spirit user, to find out if there really is a way to return a Strigoi's soul to them. Of course there is, but it will require Lissa to charm a silver stake and then staking the Strigoi herself. No way Rose is going  to be letting that happen! Of course, true to his threats, Dimitri shows up in Vegas, during the day no less, and tries to kill Rose. They get away and head back to the Royal Court and safety, although Rose is put on probation for running off again. Lissa goes to check out her new university and she and Christian and the rest of their group are ambushed by Dimitri and his Strigoi. Dimitri keeps Lissa and Christian alive to use as bait for Rose. It works and the Royal Court is sending a rescue team. Rose knows she has to kill Dimitri now, there is no choice. She is either going to lose Lissa or Dimitri, and she would rather it be him.

Rose is such a complex character sometimes, it can be overwhelming. I can only imagine how she feels about it sometimes. If something can go wrong for her, it generally does.It doesn't help that she's being hunted down by one of the deadliest Strigoi out there. Things have at least been slightly patched up with Lissa and they are back to being friends, even if Rose is no longer going to be her guardian. There is something that happens with Dimitri, that was totally expected, but I'm still rooting for Team Adrian, although,  if Rose doesn't want him, I will be happy to fight Steph for him.

There was so much that went on during this book.  Always some kind of adventure of life changing event going on at court. Moroi history has been changed, new laws are being passed, and important people are being assassinated with others being accused of murder, when we know it wasn't them as the reader. Apparently  there is never a dull moment in Rose's life and I'm completely anxious to find out how this story is  going to wrap up. This is a series that keeps you  hanging on and the cliffhanger in this one was just... ugh! I  have to read Last Sacrifice. This series is just amazing and everyone has to read it. I keep asking people if they've read it and gotten someone else from work to start it.. I definitely recommend!!

6 comments:

  1. Yay!!
    You must be exhausted -- but these books are like a shot of adrenaline.
    I'm deciding which book is my favorite, but I will tell you next week.

    Uh oh -- fight over Adrian. I'm staying out of that!!! Christian and I will make meatloaf for whoever wins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm not sure which my favorite is, but I can't wait to finish the series and see how it all goes (I still haven't started the next one... teeheehee!)

      Delete
  2. I am terribly late this week, but so great to finally read your review! And so glad you've joined the Ultimate Reviewers' Challenge, I think it's going to be a lot of fun! And I totally agree with you - Rose is such a complex character, and Richelle Mead does such a great job of balancing the line between tough and vulnerable. Great review, Jenn! I love your little owl ratings! I'm trying to find cool owl things like that, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be a lot of fun! And thanks! I can't wait to finish the series and see how she wraps it all up! <3 owl things!

      Delete
  3. Apparently, I totally sucked at actually commenting on everybody's summer school post last week! BUT... if we're fighting for Adrian, I'm totally going to win. Love him.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.